Overview of Program
The McLean Youth Soccer Travel Program offers a variety of levels of travel teams. The club competes in 6 different travel leagues: ECNL (Elite Clubs National League), CCL (Club Champions League), EDP (Eastern Development Program), NCSL (National Capital Soccer League), WAGS (Washington Area Girls Soccer League), and ODSL (Old Dominion Soccer League).
Age Group Chart
Click here to review age group chart to determine your child's appropriate age group for tryouts.
All MYS Travel Teams are coached by professional coaches with extensive experience. All coaches are employed by the club. The full list of coaching assignments will be made available at the end of May.
Practice Times / Locations
Travel team practices are typically held on weekday afternoon and evenings on fields located in the McLean area.
Travel team players commit to their team for the entire 2015-16 seasonal year. Travel teams typically practice 2-4 times a week, and play games on weekends throughout the fall and spring season. In addition, teams may have ‘offseason’ activities. Commitment is typically higher for more competitive teams where there may be additional required sessions in the winter and summer. Full details about all levels and teams will be posted by the end of May.
The tryout process will occur over several days where players are evaluated based on: their technical ability with the ball, tactical/game awareness, speed of play, character exhibited when faced with a challenge and ability to receive feedback. During the tryout process evaluations from multiple staff coaches will be taken into account to ensure that the decisions being made are fair and objective. For each team a minimum of 10 (U9-12) and 14 (U13+) and no more than roster maximums will be selected for each team.
Teams are formed based on the results of entire age group tryouts. MYS typically offers 3 teams per age group. However, this number may vary from year to year based on the results of the tryout process.
· It is in the player’s best interest to attend as many tryout sessions as possible. You are encouraged, but not required, to attend all tryouts.
· MYS conducts open tryouts. Returning players are required to tryout at the end of each seasonal year in the same manner as players new to the club.
· There is no fee to tryout.
· Participation in the travel program consists of two fees:
o The MYS Club Fee varies by age group and team level. This fee addresses technical staff compensation, league registration, field fees, insurance, administration, and other club-related fees.
o The individual team fee addresses team tournament costs, travel costs and other team-related fees. This fee varies by team.
· MYS Club Fees will be posted by later in May.
· Financial Assistance is available. Information can be found at http://www.mcleansoccer.org/page/show/65458-financial-aid
· Tryout Registration will close 24 hours before the first scheduled tryout in an age group.
· If you are not able to register within 24 hours of the first scheduled tryout, you should arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the first session to register on site.
Players are strongly encouraged to try out for their age group based on their birthdate. If a player is interested in trying out for an age group older than their current age group, they may register for that age group tryout directly in the registration system. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
What to Bring to Tryouts
· All players should arrive 15-20 minutes prior to each session to check-in and receive their tryout number.
· All players should bring the following equipment to each tryout session:
· Players ages U13 and older will receive a tryout number to wear when they check-in at their first tryout session.
· Players ages U8-12 should wear a white t-shirt on which their tryout number can be written with a permanent marker.
· The staff requests that players not wear any travel uniform jerseys to tryouts.
· There is ROLLING NOTIFICATION for players. Players will be notified via email or phone call when a decision has been made about their roster status. At times this notification may be while the tryout process is still ongoing. All players should receive notification of their status within 72 hours after the final scheduled tryout session.
· Players requiring a decision regarding their status prior to receiving notification should contact the coach and/or Travel Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-906-3555.
· If a player is offered a spot on the roster, the player is expected to confirm their acceptance of this roster spot within 48 hours. To confirm your roster spot, players should:
· If a player has not been contacted about their status by 5 days after the final scheduled tryout session, please contact email@example.com who will direct your email to the appropriate technical staff.
If you have any further questions about McLean Youth Soccer Travel Team Tryouts, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-906-3555.
When the forecast calls for a chance of thunderstorms or inclement weather, please review the information below.
An email will be sent to all registered participants and information posted on the Field Status page if there are any field changes or session cancellations prior to the start of the session. If you are unable to access your email, feel free to call the administrator at 703-906-3555.
Families may want to stay at the field or in the neighborhood if weather looks threatening in case there is a cancellation during the session.
Every effort will be made to hold each tryout session, and players should be prepared to play – even if there are rain showers. However, of course if there is any lightning or any other conditions which endanger the players, the technical staff may need to suspend a session after it has begun. Safety is paramount.
We appreciate your patience!