McLean Youth Soccer U7 Teams follow a unique format within the club and together form our U7 academy, where every player receives professional training, and all of our volunteer parent/coaches are offered mentoring and guidance.
The purpose of this approach is to train players so that they are prepared for either the travel or recreation programs in the future and to provide guidance to volunteer coaches that they may use with their teams in later years in the recreation program.
Teams practice once per week. Six teams at a time all practice on one field for an hour, using session plans provided by our recreation director. Every other week, the team's session is run by a professional staff coach, assisted by the parent/volunteer coach. The aim is to help both the coaches and the players! U7 teams will also play games on Saturdays, which will be supervised by their parent/volunteer coaches.
The U7 academy is an inclusive program that wants to give all level soccer players the opportunity to develop their skills. Individual players may be invited to participate in one additional practice per week. This invitation will be offered to the players who show the most energy and enthusiasm and will not be based on ability.
MYS U7 Academy Goals and Expected Outcomes:
The goals of the U7 Academy program are:
1. Provide a consistent model of practice sessions that provide for optimal technical development of U7 players.
2. Promote effective, positive coaching methods
3. Demonstrate soccer skills for the players
4. Act as a resource for problem solving
The expected outcome for all players:
1. Proper dribbling with both feet
2. The ability to stop and change directions with the ball
3. Kicking the ball while on the run (to include passing and shooting)